Sunday, September 4, 2011

School days, Family and Muffins

oatmeal muffins 001September means back to school. When my boys were growing up, I was lucky enough to be a stay at home mom. I was always so  anxious for that school bus to arrive and bring them back home.  I always made sure I was free at this time with some special baking treat; cookies, brownies and often a batch of muffins hot out of the oven; their favourite was the chocolate chip muffin.

The four boys and mom would sit around the table with a glass of milk and my cup of tea; they told me about their day. Doesn’t it sound so perfect; just  like Happy Days…a tv shows at that time? In my mind that is how I remember it... and that’s a good thing.

It is so important to take time to sit and talk with your kids.  Too soon,  the last thing they wanted to do was sit and chat with mom.  They still picked up their treat but headed outside for more exciting adventures and that is all part of the real life.

I found this recipe on the internet that sounds like the way I used to make their favourite muffins.  Check out the butter in there; no wonder they loved it.  We ate well, but low fat and egg whites were not on my menu back then.

Chocolate Chip Muffins

Chocolate Chip Muffin 

Today I am sharing a muffin recipe that is healthy that you can prepare and enjoy with your family anytime of the day.

Oatmeal muffin

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

Low fat goodness

Ingredients

    1 cup old fashion rolled oats (not instant)
    1 cup non-fat milk
    1 cup
    whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    2 egg whites 
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. sugar
    raisins or nuts (optional)

oatmeal muffins 002

Directions

Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spray
muffin pan with cooking spray.
Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined.
In a separate bowl measure and whisk the dry ingredients together.
Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired.
Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough. Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan.
Combine the cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with some of the mixture.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
Remove from pan, cool and enjoy.

Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins

Sage's Tips

Sage’s Tips

These can be frozen and reheated in the microwave.

Cranraisins are also a great addition.

Add a cup of chocolate chips to your mixture and watch the smiles.

Oatmeal muffin2


Thank you for your visit. Wishing you and your family a great school year and a wonderful September.

Happy Cooking!

Rita

36 comments:

  1. Great memories and great muffins. Thank you for sharing with me. I hope the beginning of your week is both peaceful and fun. I'm sipping on a cup of coffee and looking forward to a day of resting and baking. Perfection, in my books! I hope you are well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rita, both these muffins sound delicious. I like a cup of tea with a good muffin, too. xo,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rita, Your kids are blessed to have the beautiful memories that you gave them. I like both recipes, but must admit the one with the butter sounds sooooo delicious!!! Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's how I remember us too..even though I worked after they were both in school..I was home when they got home:)

    The Cunningham's:)

    The Cleavers:)

    Loved them all..

    The first recipe is not that bad butter wise?

    However yes the second is much healthier:)

    It's funny I could always tell your family life was just wonderful..

    Family..is everything when you have one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am gonna try this recipe...as i just tried your oven pork chops, and my hubby was quite taken with the results, he also said that it smelt like home ....when i opened up the oven to show him those delicious and tender juicy pork chops...and told me 'you out did your self on this one" lol thanks for the recipe!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rita,
    I love each one of the recipes you shared, they all look so delicious! I think I will give them a try, just before school starts again here in Italy. My daughters will love these!!!
    Thank you for sharing such a precious recipe,
    Annalisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound delicious and allowable!!!!!

    Thanks Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's the kind of family I want! It sounds lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely memory! My boys also loved after-school treats- muffins were often on the menu. The applesauce muffins look like muffins that we would love, and I have some homemade applesauce that needs to be used. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love food memories...I bet you kids have wonderful memories as well :) These muffins must be so moist, they look delicious!
    Wishing you a wonderful week...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to try your recipe. Sounds delicious and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi rita, never tried before using oats, looks delicious, something new for me- a must try.
    its so nice to have such a closely knit family. togetherness at tea is really fun with muffins and chamomile :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rita - I made up a batch of these muffins this morning, and have blogged about them! (I hope this is ok with you) Prefect guilt free treats.

    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such sweet memories, Rita! First day of school here, too, and already my house is way too quiet :) The muffins look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi rita, on the dates issue- tho dates do contain some carbo, but only 0.2 - 0.5% of fat. thanks. generally eating dates is highly recommended.
    thanks for your question and have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've just ushered my girls off to school too. Hopefully I'll have some cookies to serve them when they come home!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't it great when little treats like these can jog such amazing memories?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a delightful memory picture! I can see Happy Days and Leave it to Beaver and Father Knows Best! Love the muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rita, I am glad that you have such nice memories...and these muffins sure sounds very healthy and SO tasty.
    Hope you are having a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was lucky enough to be able to stay at home until my youngest started school and then being able to work the same hours they went to school was how I first went to work in the school system. You are so right about how important that time with them is and how quickly it's gone.

    Your muffins sound wonderful. I think I'll use both crasins and chocolate chips when I make them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love those memories of back to school times! It's feeling like back to school weather here. Cooler temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now I'm dying for some muffins :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These really sound worth trying. I'm not one who always associates wholesome goodness with good flavor. I think you beat the curse with this recipe. The muffins look and sound delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. How ironic Rita
    I made a batch of chocolate chip banana muffins yesterday. One of my families favourites. As you know I'm not a cook, but I can make these with my eyes closed. Needless to say... they're all gone now ; )
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this food memory! I, too, was a stay at home mother until the kids got into middle and high school ... there were always afterschool snacks and a bit of round the table talk before homework, play dates, and then afterschool television favorites - what great memories! Muffins and cookies were easy favorites! I'm liking the look of these oatmeal and apple muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I miss those days of making after-school treats for my boys, too. Thanks for sharing your memories. They definitely brought a nostalgic smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so thankful I was able to be a stay-at-home mother while my girls were in school and watch their after school activities and sports. I brought many treats to their tennis or soccer matches :) Great memories! I'm sure your boys appreciate those treats as much as my girls did.

    Both recipes sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this post, Sage. I always stayed at home while my two kids went to school and was always there when they got home. Cookies, pie, cake, anything fresh out of the oven, they LOVED.
    I so agree with spending as much time as possible with your children. I did...and when my grands came along, same thing. I spent as much time with them as I could and...still do. Like you say, as they grow older, they go outside of mom and grandma...which is how it is supposed to be.
    Thanks for the recipe...I'll make these. We LOVE anything with applesauce. :))

    ReplyDelete
  29. Rita These muffins look amazing for every time I think°!,love this post Rita, LOL, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think I'll make a batch of these tomorrow to eat with my boys when they get home from school. Such a great post Rita!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kids grow-up fast! Awesome post.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was on the phone for hours with my daughter last night rehashing her school days. (my grandson is having a difficult time adjusting so she is seriously thinking about staying home also)

    I'm going to pass this recipe along to her. I have a feeling Noah will enjoy it. She may even be able to pack a few in his lunch.

    Thanks so much for sharing, "Mrs. Cunningham":)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I remember sharing those special times with my kids at the end of their school days and how much they loved a plate of warm cookies or muffins. The years fly by so quickly and now it's my grandchildren who ask for special treats.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Something I would certainly pack in my lunch box. Cookies rule!! But I eat too many so, I must be watched. haha

    ReplyDelete
  35. Rita, those were happy days when butter was okay and Fonzie was cool. I wish those days would return. The world might be a better place with The Fonz.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  36. There is nothing more enjoyable than to sit around the dinning table and chat with family members. We still do that a lot! This is a great muffin recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.