Saturday, March 31, 2012

Food For Thought

M25h 017Last Sunday was the perfect day be at Fishermen’s Wharf in Victoria BC; the sun was shining, it was warm and this is  where I spotted this little sign on one of the floating homes…Food for Thought.M25h 011

Balance Leonardo da Vinci (April 15, 1452 May 2, 1519)

“Every now and then go away, have a little relaxation, for when you come back to your work your judgment will be surer.

Go some distance away because then the work appears smaller and more of it can be taken in at a glance and a lack of harmony and proportion is more readily seen.”

M25h 002

Even if the weather was not the best it was a good month, but now it’s time to get back home with a clear mind, a rested body and anxious to tackle the real world.

Since food is always on my mind, here is a great recipe you might enjoy with your Easter Ham.

This recipe originates from Emeril but I make with our favourites; it really comes out spectacular in your oven or off your grill.

Grilled Vegetables 012

Grilled Vegetables

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 lemon, juice of
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 lb zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
  • 1/2 lb asparagus
  • 1 medium red onion, sliced into 1/2-inch rings
  • 1 small yellow bell peppers, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
  • 1 tablespoon chopped basil
  • 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons pine nuts
  • Grilled Vegetables 003

Directions

  1. In a bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, basil, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper flakes to make the marinade.
  2. Place the zucchini, asparagus, onions, and bell peppers in a large bowl and toss with the marinade, to coat. Let marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.
  3. Preheat the grill to very high heat (alternately, preheat the broiler).
  4. Remove the vegetables from the marinade and place in a Grilling Basket. Place on BBQ and grill until cooked but still crispy.
  5. Place on a platter and serve.
  6. Alternately, arrange on a large baking sheet and broil until beginning to char, 3 to 5 minutes before stirring now and then.
  7. Sprinkle the vegetables with the cheese, pine nuts, and basil.

picB7edvQ

Grilled Vegetables

Sages-Tips_thumb1

Sage’s Tips:

Perfect recipe with BBQ season here.

Very good served cold the next day

Be creative and try something different to surprise your family.

Thank you for your visit and comments; we are leaving early Sunday morning; see you back home in April.

Happy Cooking!

Rita

M25h 005

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
Leonardo da Vinci

 

33 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, Rita. Just the perfect accompianment to a nice piece of fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what nice pictures Rita:)) and I love these vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a safe trip home, Rita. It looks like you had some decent weather in Victoria. Vacations are wonderful but there is nothing like getting back home and sleeping in your own bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious, I love everything in your dish, nice flavors! It's been a month already, wow, that went by fast. Safe travels, Rita!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we'll be bringing out the grill soon and am happy to have this recipe. Right now, I'm oven-roasting vegetables.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some people become famous for a reason. Leonardo was a great thinker and a pioneer for his age. It is true that when the things seem unresolved, it is better to just put a distance between you and them. It will help you see them clearer and in a more fresh and objective manner. Both I and my husband love grilled vegetables, but I have never tried to marinate them. I will certainly try it. I am sure the flavors are stronger. Thanks Rita and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome grilled veggie..oil free ones!!
    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  8. That picture looks lovely! You know, despite being a big fishing place, we don't have anything like a Fisherman's Wharf down here. I'm so jealous :)

    Fabulous veggies too. As a reformed Carnivore, I'm looking forward to trying these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Rita, I hope you have a safe and happy trip and make lots of beautiful memories!! The vegetables look delicious and sound like a perfect Easter meal accompaniment. Blessings my dear, your friend, Catherine xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this, rita. I too just took out the grill and believe me, I can't wait to fire it up!!! (I pinned this:)

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leonardo had a very unique perspective on the world. Thanks for sharing some of his philosophy. Have a safe trip home.
    Pierre
    P.S. It is snowing in Ontario today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love grilled vegetables and absolutely love the pictures! It's amazing how creative and original your cooking is!
    My daughters will love this, I'm sure.
    Have a safe trip home and I look forward to read more from you!

    Annalisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Safe trip, Rita. It's lovely to have a holiday but its so good to return home to a routine as well. I have enjoyed your posts while you've been in BC. That quote may need to have a prominent place on my desk tomorrow when I have to return to work. :-)
    Veggie meals are delicious and I am going to try and get meatless Mondays back in my meal plans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. THis one if for me! I love grilled vegetables dishes. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds delicious, Rita. No wonder you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe your month of vacation is almost over already! Thanks for the grilled veggie recipe - it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those grilled veggies - good to know they're yummy the next day, too! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our favorite way to make our veggies....:)
    Glad you are rested and ready to face the world again.:))
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  19. What glorious quotes and pictures sweetie. I sooo enjoyed 'em.

    I love to make the hodgepodge of veggies and grill 'em. Heck, I love to grill most anything.

    God bless ya and have yourself an excellent week sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Over already? Rested and ready to go? I really enjoy all the photos that you have been sharing... everything is so beautiful. I love the floating houses.
    Of course I love food to and so fun talking food with you. I'll bet this would be good cold made into a salad for lunch the next day!!

    See you soon! Cheers!
    Lyndsey

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have a wonderful trip, Rita. We love roasted vegetables so your recipe will get a good workout here. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sage cuisine AND sage advice in that note. Hope you're having a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love, love the images! And grilled vegies are the best. Speaking of weather--we live in Dallas now and we have sirens blaring and tornados bouncing all over! Ya gotta love Texas weather!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a flavorful marinade for grilled veggies! I love it. And is the month over already? It went so fast on my end. I'm glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's always nice to have a nice and relaxing holiday...Lucky you :D

    Thanks for all the tips to make this perfect tray of grilled vegetable. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful time you must have had! This is making me want to get away somewhere, but it's not going to happen for a while. I'll just have to find my little retreat closer to home.
    I love to make grilled vegetables in the summertime with whatever vegetables are in season! Your marinade sounds wonderful. :) With asparagus coming in fresh right now, I know that will be the first thing I try it with.

    ReplyDelete
  27. We will be grilling here soon so this is a great recipe to bookmark for then. The mix of veggies is wonderful and I like those floating houses too. I'm glad you had a good month! Leonardo was right on spot! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Grilled vegetables sounds great! Time sure flies when you are having fun! Are you back home now? Vacation can be tiring too! :) Take care and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Grilled vegetables are perfect healthy meal!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this post! What a fun sign to stumble upon. :)
    This dish sounds just perfect for a bbq. Such fresh flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just wanted to wish you and your family Happy Easter, my dear friend!
    Love,
    Annalisa

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Easter! Hope you have a great week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That looks absolutely delicious! I love all of those wonderful herbs :)
    Hope you had a wonderful Easter :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.